Some posts may include affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Sweet Charli!

Churro Chex Mix

Its the perfect combination of cinnamon, sugar, and crunch.  This Churro Chex mix is sure to be a show stopper at your next party and your friends will be asking you for the recipe.  Whether you take it on your next road trip, to a party, or gift it to your neighbor or friend, you will want to make some more for yourself!

Before I begin, I must update you all on some problems people have been having making this recipe.  If you’ll read in the comments below, you will see that this can be a very temperamental recipe to make.  Some people are very frustrated by it.  I have never had issue with it.  If I can give you one tip it would be to not overheat your cinnamon chips.  As soon as they are warm enough to stir smooth, dump it over your cereal mixture and it should be just fine.  If you overheat it then it becomes pasty and will not mix in with your cereal.  That is the only tip I can give you.  If you want to read in the comments below, some other people give a few tips that have worked out for them.  I promise you, you need to try this recipe for yourself.  It is so good!  Good luck!

One of my favorite treats our Churros.  We always seem to end up getting some on our way out from shopping at Costco.  I don’t know what it is but anything with Cinnamon and Sugar just gets me!  Besides this Churro Chex Mix, we also make Churros de la Casa a lot!  After our trip to Mexico, it has become a favorite cinnamon and sugar treat as well!

Here is the Churro Chex Mix recipe:

Ingredients:
9 cups Chex cereal (I like using rice Chex)
2 cups cinnamon chips (these may be tricky to find, especially if it isn’t near the holidays)
1/4 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Pour cereal into a large bowl, set aside.  Mix sugars and cinnamon together in a small bowl and set that aside too.

Melt cinnamon chips and butter in microwave for 30 seconds then stir.  Put back in for another 10 seconds and stir again until smooth.  DO NOT OVERHEAT.  If you have to heat it again, just do it for 10 seconds because if you over-cook it then it will be thick rather than thin and smooth.  If you take the mixture out of the microwave and it doesn’t seem like they are melted, stir them anyways because as you stir the mixture it will melt more and some people do not think about this so they microwave it more and the mixture becomes too tough.  Stirring is key before overheating.  Once smooth, pour over cereal mixture and mix until the cereal is all coated.

Slowly add the half of the sugar mixture into the chex while tossing.  Coat the whole mixture and then lay it on wax paper on the counter top.  Sprinkle the rest of the sugar mixture on top and let it cool before serving or storing.

Caution: Churro Chex Mix is addicting.  Once you start, you cannot stop!

Recipe for Churro Chex mix adapted from here.

Comments

• says

I was just thinking, “Double Boiler?” Mine died a couple of years ago, but I’ve been using a small saucepan over a pot of boiling water. Not the easiest way to do it, but I’ve never had trouble melting stuff in a double boiler.

• Ann says

I had the same experience. After checking other recipes I found they did not contain butter. I think that is what ruined the cinnamon chips. Next time no butter.

1. says

I know this is an old post, but I am going to try anyway! I REALLY want to make this, but I can’t find cinnamon chips anywhere. Any ideas for a substitution?

2. says

Marissa,

The chips do not melt very thin. It is a little tricky in getting the mixture to mix well because it’s so thick. Try adding a little vegetable oil to the chips when melting – that might help!

3. says

This was an epic failure. The chips just clumped up in balls with the chex, no matter how much stirring could get it to spread evenly. I even tried adding some more melted butter. Super bummed.

4. says

My dad and I just made these….the microwave way of melting did not work. We improvised and put a pyrex bowl on top of a sauce pan and made our own double boiler. We added about an extra tablespoon of butter and about 2 tablespoons of milk to the mixture and we were able to get it to smooth out and melt enough to be able to be poured on top of the cereal. I would also cut the sugar amounts in half but after tweaking the original recipe enough I think we got it to work….the Churro mix is currently drying/cooling on two wax paper lined cookie sheets…

5. says

I do NOT recommend this recipe. I’ve tried it two times. Once in the microwave and once on the double broiler and the chips would not melt smooth EITHER way. Both times it immediately thickened and clumped. I wasted two bags of chips. I’m not sure what magical way to melt them, but I’m a pretty good cook and I’ve never had a mess like this. Pretty disappointing.

6. says

I also consider myself a good cook and found this recipe to be a train wreck. After reading the comments, I melted the butter first, and then added in and melted the cinnamon chips on medium just as I would chocolate chips to avoid overcooking. I didnt add oil, because, well that’s just gross. Greasy chez mix? Anyhow, I waited a year to make these when cinnamon chips were available, so I’m disappointed. Something major is missing in these instructions or ingredients. I had to dig my hands in to mix it around, which broke up a lot of the cereal. The end result was clumpy, with overpowering bites of pure cinnamon chip.

7. Jenna says

I had the EXACT same problems as everyone else! Wasted 2 bags of chips trying this 2 times. Finally got it to work. Whoever recommended adding 2 TBS of butter and some vegetable oil- genius! I used my double broiler, on med/low heat, and just kept stirring and stirring and stirring! Best batch yet!

8. cait says

I have made these in the past, I ALWAYS add a bit of heavy cream to the chips, it helps to temper them a bit and keeps it from seizing up. But they are very temperamental.

• sweetcharli says

Seriously! I have never had a problem but can see how they could be very difficult and frustrating! Thanks for the tip, heavy cream, haven’t thought of that one.

9. Katie says

I had the problem of the cinnamon micture getting clumpy but I didn’t want to add any oil or anything so I just used my hands to massage it in with the chex and it worked great!

10. Leslie says

So our store doesn’t have Cinnamon Chips, I’ve looked for months. But Nestle did jump on the “pumpkin everything” bandwagon & came out with Pumpkin Spice Chips which are pumpkin flavored morsels with cinnamon & spices. I’ll admit we cooked the first batch too long & it did EXACTLY what you said it would do, became a lump of yuckiness. But never fear, I bought a second bag & warmed it for 30 seconds & then 10 seconds & then 10 more seconds & it was perfect. It’s not a Churro one but it’s a Pumpkin Spice Churro-ish one & it tastes DELICIOUS!!! We also used Cinnamon Chex with it because we weren’t sure how much of a cinnamon taste the pumpkin spice morsels would have….Cinnamon Chex were a good choice!!!

11. Angie says

OK here ya go, since the cinnamon chips are hard to find, for get them or any white chocolate. Use granulated sugar and cinnamon. When I melted the butter I added about 1/2-1 tsp. vanilla and 1/2-1 tsp butter extracts/flavoring. Then I poured the liquid (melted butter and extracts/flavoring) to the cereal. Placed all of that into a zip lock bag and poured the sugar/cinnamon mixture over that and shook.

12. C Ryan says

I believe the problem with the cinnamon chips is the heating directions. Heat at 50% power for 30 seconds and then 50% for 10 seconds. Stirring in between to get the creamy consistency that is required.

13. Peggy Jenkins says

This is AMAZING! !! Tip i have is melt butter first…stir inyo chips..then mrlt chips. Stir stir stir..and i used real butter not spread margerine..i don’t like fake butter.

14. Vicki says

Since everyone seems to have a problem with the cinnamon chips could I just use a toasted cinnamon crisp cereal instead of chexs and omit the chips and following the rest of the recipe ?

15. says

The reason the cinnamon chip can go from smooth to thick is because they are made of white chocolate. If chocolate is overheated it begins to bind. If this happens, add milk 1 tbsp at a time and stir WELL. You should be able to get it back to smooth.

Trackbacks

1. […] **Here is a huge tip to help you save time** Because the churros themselves only take 8-10 minutes in the oven, make your sauces ahead of time.  These sauces require lots of tending while on the stove-top and the last thing you want while serving guests this dessert is for the sauces to boil over and ruin your stove-top.  I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE! Try making the sauces the day before and storing them in your fridge.  Just reheat them in the microwave or on the stove-top before serving.  In my opinion, sauces are better when reheated anyways because they are thicker! …Just a thought! Please enjoy Churros de la Casa.  I know you will.  I might go make some right now! If you like Churros, be sure to check out my Churro Chex Mix! […]