Some posts may include affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Sweet Charli!

DIY Terra Cotta: Coasters

Do you use coasters? Well if you don’t, you will want to now! These are so fun and very easy to make! If you don’t use them, at least they make a cute coffee table accessory!
WHAT YOU NEED:
4″ terra cotta saucers
Spray paint-primer
Spray paint-color
Spray paint-sealer
Scrapbook Paper
Distress Ink
Mod Podge
Felt
Hot Glue
Here is a live demonstration first:

First, primer and spray paint your saucers and let dry

While drying, cut about a 3″ circle out of both your paper and felt, enough for each of your coasters. (I just happened to have a drinking glass with a 3″ top that I traced)

Next, ink the edges of all your paper circles

Then, when your saucers are done drying, mod podge the backs of your paper circles, and place them in your saucer dish. Let dry a few minutes.

Now you can mod podge the tops of your paper circles. Try not to be sloppy with this step, keep the mod podge on the paper as much as you can. But make sure you seal the edges of the paper really well.

Then when the mod podge dries, you’ll want to spray the whole coaster with your sealer (polyurythane) spray paint and let dry completely.
Now you can hot glue your felt circle to the bottom of your coaster!

And Wahlaaaah!
Wasn’t that easy? Here are a few reasons why you should make your own coasters rather than buy them:
1. They are cheaper! I made 5 coasters for about $5. I saw a set of 4 in Pottery Barn, and they were $30!
2. You can make them to match the room you will be keeping them in. It’s so hard to find the right coasters for your home when you are a ‘matchy’ person!
3. You can make as many as you need! If you were buying coasters, and they sale in a set of 4, but you want six – you would have to buy 2 sets. Why buy when you can make?
MORE TERRA COTTA LOVIN’:
For Terra Cotta Cake Stand, click HERE
For Terra Cotta Serving Trays, click HERE
Enjoy your coasters!
LOVE, KAMI

Comments

1. says

I love these! I saw you on Studio 5 this morning and you were great. Thanks for all the great ideas. I am a new follower.

Tamber
    colorfulcravings.blogspot.com

2. says

Hey Kami! I saw you on Studio 5 yesterday too so when I saw your thumbnail today on We Did It! Wednesday I knew just who’s they were! I really love these, especially your green and damask combo.

p.s. Your hair looked great yesterday :).

3. says

Brilliant!!! I’ve been trying to come up with a cheap, easy way to make a few coasters for my office and voila, here it is! Fabulous!

4. says

I found you on “U create” and I love your idea! I am going to make some! I am also thinking Christmas gifts-to be added to a gift basket. Thanks for sharing!!!

5. says

I am new to your blog and I am so impressed with these ideas! What a great way to use some inexpensive materials. Thanks for the tutorial!!

6. says

Okay, these are genius. And the Studio 5 thing is so cool too! I have a goal….one day!

Anyway, what I want to say is I’m going to make these for my Father-in-Law for father’s day. (Only Beatles style) Cause he’s obsessed with both The Beatles and coasters. (no, I’m not kidding. It’s the sad truth.) Anyway, when I make them, I’d like to post them on my blog…with full credit going to your amazing idea, of course. I hope that’s okay.

Thanks for solving my holiday dilema. He’s probably the hardest gift person in the know universe!!

7. says

These are great! I’ve seen lots of “crafty” coasters and none of them have inspired me to start using them… but you were right… I kind of want to now! 🙂

Trackbacks